As winter approaches, Colorado Springs homeowners must prepare their properties for colder temperatures and potential snowfall. One critical aspect of winterizing your home is to drain and winterize your outdoor faucets and irrigation systems. Failing to do so can lead to frozen pipes, burst pipes, and costly repairs.
Here's why it's important to winterize your outdoor faucets and irrigation systems, and how to do it:
Why is it important to winterize your outdoor faucets and irrigation systems?
Water left in outdoor faucets and irrigation systems can freeze, causing the pipes to expand and potentially burst. When this happens, the water damage can be extensive and expensive to repair. Not only can this cause damage to the pipes and system, but it can also lead to water damage to your home's foundation, walls, and ceilings.
How to winterize your outdoor faucets and irrigation systems
- Turn off the water supply to your outdoor faucets and irrigation system: Locate the main valve that controls the water supply to your outdoor faucets and irrigation system. Turn the valve to the off position.
- Drain your outdoor faucets: Disconnect any hoses attached to your outdoor faucets and let the water drain out. Leave the faucet open to allow any remaining water to escape.
- Drain your irrigation system: Depending on your system, you may need to use an air compressor to blow out any remaining water from the pipes. If you're not comfortable doing this, it's best to hire a professional irrigation service to winterize your system for you.
- Insulate exposed pipes: If you have any exposed pipes outside, wrap them with insulation to help prevent freezing.
- Store hoses indoors: Disconnect any hoses from your outdoor faucets and store them indoors for the winter.
By following these simple steps, you can protect your property and avoid costly repairs. If you're unsure how to winterize your outdoor faucets and irrigation system, or if you'd like to have a professional take care of it for you, contact The Johnson Team. We're here to help you with all your real estate needs, including preparing your home for winter.